Recovering from addiction on your own can be almost impossible when withdrawal symptoms like nausea and drug cravings become too severe to ignore. However, finding an accredited drug rehab in California can help you safely overcome drug dependence and learn the skills you need to stay abstinent from drugs and alcohol for the rest of your life. Treatments at drug rehab can be customized just for you so you can experience a safe, fulfilling recovery from addiction.
A Close Look at Addiction in California
Heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine, and synthetic opioids carry a high risk for dependence and addiction and are just some of the illicit substances commonly used by those in the Golden State.
Here are a few California substance abuse statistics:
- Opioid-related overdoses caused 2,012 deaths in California in 2016, which is 4.9 deaths per 100,000 people.
- Heroin is involved in more than 25% of all opioid-related deaths in California.
- In 2015, there were 47.9 opioid prescriptions written for every 100 people in California.
- Roughly 9.8% of people in California over the age of 18 used marijuana during the past month.
- Nearly 2.3% of people in California over the age of 18 reported using cocaine in the past month.
- In 2016, there were 4,654 people who died of drug overdoses in California, which is 11.2 deaths for every 100,000 people.
- Nearly 93% of people dependent on alcohol in California don’t receive alcohol rehab treatment.
- More than 88% of people dependent on illicit drugs do not receive drug rehab treatment.
What Goes On at California Drug and Alcohol Rehab?
A qualified California drug rehab uses safe, evidence-based treatments to help people manage common triggers that lead to substance abuse, such as stress and mental illness. Therapy can help patients identify and change negative thoughts and behaviors that may have contributed to their addiction, along with skills that help them stay abstinent and avoid relapse. Drug rehab offers a number of different treatment programs that can be customized for each individual based on their addiction type, addiction history, and unique struggles related to their substance use disorder.
Treatment at California drug rehab usually begins with detox, which is then followed by therapies and therapeutic activities that keep patients distracted from thoughts of drugs and alcohol. Patients have the option of living at the rehab center as part of an inpatient or residential program, or attending daily or weekly therapy sessions as part of an outpatient or partial hospitalization program. Many California rehab centers also offer aftercare programs that provide ongoing support and education to those intent on achieving long-term abstinence.
What Is Drug Detox?
Alcohol, benzodiazepines, heroin, and painkillers are all highly addictive substances that can cause severe and dangerous withdrawal symptoms in those who stop using these drugs abruptly. Seizures, hallucinations, severe depression, and death are just some complications that can stem from withdrawal. Drug and alcohol detox helps people safely withdraw from these substances while under 24-hour medical supervision, reducing the risk for complications. Medications are often used during detox to reduce or eliminate symptoms so patients can experience a more comfortable recovery.
Choosing the Best Drug Rehab Center
The best drug rehab centers use a whole-person approach to treatment that addresses addiction both physically and psychologically. Choose a drug rehab center that offers medical detox, along with therapies that treat addiction and co-occurring disorders, including anxiety, depression, and posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Being treated for the root causes of addiction may help prevent you or a loved one from relapsing and resuming future drug use.