While Nebraska isn’t among the top states in the country when it comes to drug and alcohol abuse, that doesn’t mean people aren’t still suffering. In particular, opioid-related deaths in the state are soaring, creating a crisis that demands to be heard. Are you one of the many people in this area struggling to overcome your substance abuse? If so, know that there is hope. Nebraska does have drug and alcohol detox and rehab solutions that can assist you in returning to a clean lifestyle.
More About Nebraska
While the state itself takes up a lot of space (76,824.17 square miles to be exact), it’s not exactly a population-dense area. There are only a total of 1,920,076 people in Nebraska, which equates to about 23.8 people per square mile. Much of Nebraska is comprised of farmland and prairies that are perfect for cattle to graze in. In fact, if you drive through the Great Plains, there’s a good chance you’ll see nothing but cows for miles.
The state’s two most populated cities are Omaha and Lincoln, both of which are located in the gently rolling hills of the Dissected Till Plains.
Nebraska Substance Abuse Statistics
There were 44 opioid-related overdose deaths in 2016 in Nebraska, which equates to about 2.4 deaths per 100,000 people. If that sounds like a lot, consider that the national average is 13.3 deaths per 100,000 people.
Unfortunately, cases of neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS), a disease affecting infants born to mothers who abuse opioids, is on the rise. While there were just 0.2 cases of NAS per 1,000 live births in 2001, that number has soared to 1.6 cases per 1,000 births in 2013.
Drugs are also big among high school students. Around 8 percent of Nebraska students in grades 9 to 12 admitted trying to use inhalants to get high in a 2015 survey. This is higher than the US average of 7 percent. What’s more, 5 percent of students tried cocaine.
A separate survey that looked at adolescents ages 12 to 17 from 2013 to 2014 found that 3 percent of this group reported needing drug rehab treatment but never receiving it.
Resources for Nebraska Drub and Alcohol Rehab
If you’re struggling with substance abuse or addiction in Nebraska, you don’t have to feel alone. There are plenty of resources out there that can help you find the right drug detox and rehab programs right for you. Consider turning to the following agencies if you find yourself in need of assistance before, during, or after your recovery:
- The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services, which maintains a list of local and national resources for those seeking substance abuse treatment.
- The Nebraska Network of Care, which provides both mental health and behavioral health services throughout different regions across the state.
- The Nebraska Human Services Information Line (211), which can help you sort through and find various resources related to substance abuse, housing, health care, and more. Simply dial 211 to get in touch.
- The Nebraska Family Helpline, which is a great resource if your children have started abusing drugs or alcohol. Call them at 1-888-866-8660.
- The Nebraska Resources and Referral System, which is a comprehensive listing of service and treatment providers in the state. Call them at 800-252-6465 to reach their alcohol and drug abuse hotline.
At the end of the day, overcoming substance abuse in Nebraska won’t be easy. However, with the help of one or more of the above resources as well as a verified drug and alcohol rehab facility, you’ll be on the road to recovery before you know it.